OPINION TIMES HAS MOVED. OUR NEW ADDRESS IS www.OpinionTimes.com

Google
WWW Opinion Times

Thursday, May 26, 2005

"Mr. Narcissus Goes to Washington"

Just when Peggy Noonan wows you, she ups the ante. Her current column at Opinion Journal, Mr. Narcissus Goes to Washington, is a total hoot!

It requires no analysis from me. But some teasers are warranted:
. . . [M]y favorite was Lindsey Graham, who said, "I know there will be folks 'back home' who will be angry, but that's only because they're not as sophisticated and high-minded as I am. Actually they're rather stupid, which is why they're not in the Senate and I am. But I have 3 1/2 years to charm them out of their narrow-minded resentments, and watch me, baby."

Oh, excuse me, that's not what he said. That's only what he meant. It was the invisible scroll as he spoke. The CNN identifier that popped up beneath his head as he chattered, however, did say, "Conceited Nitwit Who Affects 'Back Home' Accent to Confuse the Boobs."

Oh wait, that's not what it said. It said, "R-South Carolina." My bad.
And then there's this one:
All this self-lauding has become strange. Public figures use the press to laud themselves with no embarrassment, no sense of what is important, and no sense of modesty. . . . Every announcement of news in America has become an Academy Awards show. And every speaker has become a variation on Sally Fields: "I like me, I really like me!"
Go read it here and enjoy!