OPINION TIMES HAS MOVED. OUR NEW ADDRESS IS www.OpinionTimes.com

Google
WWW Opinion Times

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Gingrich in 2008?

FOXNews reports that Newt may be considering a run in 2008 for President. Hat tip to Confessions of a Political Junkie. Erick rightly notes that this is not the best way to start:
"Newt Gingrich is taking steps toward a potential presidential bid in 2008 with a book criticizing President Bush's policies on Iraq and a tour of early campaign states." [bold mine]
I like Newt's capability to consolidate the issues of the day into a useful historical context. I frankly would like to see him in the mix. It would make the debates interesting, and I think other candidates would be less likely to preen for the camera. They'd have to actually answer some tough questions.

The jury is out on his ability to make a run of it. Even Newt knows this:
I don't think it's very likely. On the other hand, if I have an impact on public policy and do it in a way that is exciting and positive, why wouldn't I want to do that?"
I say go for it!